Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Watching the Wool in August

There is not a day that goes by that I am not running my hands through my sheeps wool.  The sheep's wool tells me alots about whether I want that particular sheep in my breeding flock.  Now don't get me wrong, I also constantly monitor the whole sheep.  Good hooves, good health, good weight gain, and friendly to the sheppard.


Cloie at dusk
Last Spring my last lamb born just didn't act like she was getting milk and her mama didn't have much of a bag for a couple of days.  I named her Cloie, (no reason, she just looked like a Cloie)  I stewed about this baby getting the colostrom she needed, her mama had gotten bred when she was not suppose to be bred yet.  She herself was just a baby.  Things got off to a slow start so I gave them extra feed, they quickly learned to come back to the barn after the other sheep went out to the pastures in the morning and I would give them some feed.   Cloie was sick one morning and I thought she was dying but I gave her a shot and she came out of it.  She recieved the regular injections that all my lambs get but since she was born in the hotter weather, I was afraid to dock her tail due to the flies.  So now she has a long tail. 
Cloie's mother
Cloie is very nosy.  She sees me out and comes over and watches what I am doing.  Her mother was not much of a pet before but she too comes to see if I am bringing them some treats. 

Cloie's wool is wonderful, really growing and hangs in very tiny fine ringlets.  She has the spots and her wool has a grey-brown shade to it.  Her mother's wool is white and has a longer stable and luster to it.  She is a bluefaced BL cross shetland.  A very sweet soul.  She has turned out to be a super mom.
Cloie's Mom's fleece

Cloie's wool, very fine and small ringlets

I have 70 head of sheep and I know that I can't keep and winter and lamb 50 head of ewes.  Decisions, Decisions!



1 comment:

  1. We are in the middle of the same decision. Fall markets are opened now and we are trying to keep the good ones around. The Bum lambs are the hardest to part with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy your comments so feel free to leave one if you please.