Thursday, August 2, 2012

Missouri Drought 2012




WEATHER UPDATE:  NO change...hot, hot, and dry.  This heat is wearing me out!  Can I get a witness???  We thought that we were going to get rain today and I think south of us a few miles they did get rain.  I am sure thankful it is raining somewhere close by.

I took some pictures this evening of the dry conditions here.
The trees are starting to loose their leaves and needles, we can't water them all.  We are concerned about the water we will need to water the livestock if the ponds go dry.  


The Pear trees are loosing their leaves too and the pears are not growing...some pears have dropped already and that is OK if it helps to save the tree.

This is the cattle pasture.  Danny said that we will need to start feeding hay.    

what leaves that have not dropped are drooping.

This is the grass and leaves under the pear trees...

The grass in the front yard is brown...I am going to leave my car out and hope it gets rained on...not really, I just didn't get it put back in the garage yet.
Amen

tonight as I was getting done with the chores, this bank was in the  west...I can only pray that this is a rain heading our way.



I love Pinterest!  I find so many recipes and ideas.  I should be cleaning or spinning or weaving but I find it very relaxing to look at all the beautiful ideas and yummy recipes.

I made the homemade laundry detergent today.  I opted to use the dry recipe.  I did not want a big bucket of detergent sitting around.  It was very simple

.Maryjane’s Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
It’s only four ingredients!
1 (4 pound) box of Super Washing Soda
1 (4pound) box of Baking Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Borax
3 bars of Kirk’s Castile soap–Shredded
(you can use Fels Naptha, Zote, or Ivory soaps)
Mix well in a large container.
Add two heaping tablespoons to each load of laundry


2 comments:

  1. We had thunder and lightning last night around 11pm. Not a spot of rain. However we are not as dry as you. East of us is though. It is hazy,hot,humid here today and all weekend. Suppost to get close to 102F today/tomorrow. The humidity hurts my chest with this cold so I am staying indoors as much a possible. I hate this because this is what we do all winter. Shades closed and everything closed up. It is not suppose to be like this in the summer.

    Newscast here last night is beef will be going up 25% this winter due to lack of corn. they failed to mention all the other billion products that have corn in them! I really don't get it because if I were to bring my livestock to stockyard right now I would get bottom dollar due to too many animals coming to market due to drought. How can the price of beef be up.... if the supply of beef is way up? the price should be dropping.

    That said, meatless is looking pretty good these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the beef prices, lambs are way down now too. I just priced a ton of feed for the animals and it is $301. If our hay gets short and we have to feed more feed, I know we can not break even.
    I look for everything to go up, corn and beans are in everything. Then what do you do when you run out of water?
    We have a chance for rain on Saturday but temps could be 105. May get wind and storms, which I hope are loaded with moisture.
    Have a good week end. Hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy your comments so feel free to leave one if you please.