Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weaving in my Studio Loft

Doing the needlework on the crazy quilt that I have started using mostly old ties and old fabrics. I think this is a fitting piece to hang in my upstairs woman's craft loft. Have you ever walked by a piece of material and came back to it every week when you go shopping? I am not even a fake fur person but for some reason that piece called my name. I got enought to make a throw and lined it with black fleece...it is so warm and cudley. It looks like a patchwork quilt of fake fur...the throw is so nice...whoever knew???? I have already fell asleep under it at night and at nap time. I spent most of this week end upstairs weaving or warping the big loom. Except for the time I spent out to the barn, haying, watering, and cleaning, getting ready for the next cold snap to set in. The mud was up on my boots, cut ruts when haying. Today was windy and got colder as the day went on. Wind chill of 24, temp about 32. But.....the sun did shine for awhile. Today was also 01-24-10, Sunday...The Lord's Day and also FOOTBALL! Brett loss to NO but I still think he is a great quarterback...he took a beating today, and I do mean physically knocked down, tackled. He has played hard and he will be the Best Quarterback in my book. I rigged up a curtain rod to hang some of my handspun yarn. (I need more curtain rods and s hooks to put up the rest of myhandspuns. I like to see what I have when I am planning a project. I have baskets of balls of yarn that I need to find a way to store where I can see it. I also have many baskets of clean wool waiting to be spun....I don't ever plan to catch up in this life time but I know if I get to heaven, I will be spinning something there too. This is the start of a wool rug. All the wool is from the Spinning C Fiber Farm. This rug will be over 48 inches wide. I also sew, rug hook, draw, stamp, paint, spin, and read in this room. I put up the new drapes this week end. Sissy my heeler dog sleeps on the rug waiting on me to make my next move...always with me. This is a cozy place to read, pray, concentrate, plan the next project. Every woman needs a place she can go and craft, sew, read or just relax a few minutes a day. I never had the option till just a few years ago. I can't wait to return to this upstairs get away to create....it truly is my creative spot. It might be a meager space but it holds my hobbies and crafts and many books and magazines. The big floor loom has a wool rug in progress, the small loom has cotton dish clothes in progress...I weave several before I take them off and hem them. I can do a dish cloth in about 30 minutes without being rushed. The large upright loom has a small rug started. It too is from wool. Do you have a space of your own? Or do you dream of having a studio or craft room?

7 comments:

  1. Your room is lovely, Sarita and Sissy looks like our "Rowdy". I love the curtain rod idea to hang wool. I am going to copy cat you on that I think. Your space looks so cozy and "yours." All of us creative girls need a little space of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie, I am having lots of fun making this space mine. It has a long ways to go but I can now work on projects, do a quick clean up and be ready to switch gears and work on some of my other hobbies.
    Are you getting ready to start lambing? It is 8 degrees here and the wind is blowing like a banchee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome and cozy room !!!!!! I am so jealous :) Thanks for dropping by my blog for a visit.I actually just bought some glass slides off of ebay for jewlery..I got the 1 x 3 inch slides but they maay be bit big for what i want to use ... i want to see if i can play around with using something else than the copper solder (sp?) Idea probaly wont work out though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your loft...so organized and cozy!

    You have inspired me to leave the house on this frigid great north woods afternoon and head out to the library for a book on learning how to weave. I acquired at auction a few years ago, a table loom that looks exactly like the one you have posted...it's currently gathering dust in my front parlor!

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarita, Your craft room is just beautiful! It looks picture perfect for creating and having a quiet space of your own! I the the needlepoint hanging! I think of that verse often, especially when things are slow and I start to wonder if this is what I should be doing! It always cheers me up! I am hoping and praying that things continue well with the house and that I end up with a small craft room myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica, I know how it is when you are raising a family. I was in my late 40's and 50's before I got my space....you will be in my prayers.

    Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody, did you find the information you needed at the library?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I enjoy your comments so feel free to leave one if you please.